ADL moves into top gear with plans for all-new UK double deck that will “raise the bar”, pledges CEO - 14th November 2012
Alexander Dennis Limited (ADL) will continue to internationalise its business but will never lose sight of the fact that its core market – and home base – remains the UK. That was the pledge given by CEO Colin Robertson when he met with the media and announced that as part of this commitment ADL will bring to market a revolutionary, all-new double deck in late 2013/early 2014 to coincide with the introduction of Euro6 legislation.
Robertson said plans for the new-generation Enviro400 are well advanced and customers have been at the heart of the concept, design and development work for the past year. No less that 50 operators, ranging from giant PLCs to small and medium-sized businesses, have been involved in the on-going programme of customer engagement exercises.
Robertson is confident the net result will be a new flagship that is stylish, lighter, more fuel-efficient, more reliable, easier to repair and maintain, and will reduce whole-life costs substantially.
“It will also usher in a radical, new approach to how we build buses,” he said.
He added: “This business is not about producing the most glamorous Ferrari of the bus world. It is about practical, fit-for-purpose vehicles that deliver what they promise. Yes, we want them to look smart and stylish but, along with this, they need to be built using modern manufacturing processes. These are the fundamentals that enable built consistency across all products and in all locations - and will raise the bar still further on quality, while keeping costs in check" As a business, said Robertson, ADL has a reputation for delivering what it promises:
* The original Enviro400, a vehicle with seven more seats on the ground floor than any other in its class when launched – and 18% more fuel efficient than its forerunner. A vehicle consistently improved and consistently the best-selling double deck in the western world.
* The improved Enviro200, a bus introduced with a 10% fuel reduction over its predecessor. A proven, fuel-efficient, reliable vehicle in a class of its own - and the best-selling midi bus in the world.
* The Enviro400H, providing vastly improved fuel efficiency, in many cases by 60 to 70%, and as a consequence much-reduced emissions. It is now the best-selling hybrid-electric bus in Europe.
* The class-leading Elite coach.
* The revolutionary low-height Enviro500 and the all-new, high capacity Enviro500, both of which have stormed the markets in North America and Hong Kong, respectively – and between them have further, significant potential.
“These successful new product programmes have not been undertaken on impulse, or driven by vanity,” said Robertson, adding:
“They are clear responses to the needs of the market and our determination to stay at the forefront of the industry by delivering innovative vehicles that make a difference for operators and passengers – and, in doing so, address the clean air challenges facing cities around the world.
“Our next generation Enviro400 double deck will address the same fundamentals. As I have indicated, it will be lighter, more fuel efficient, more robust, reliable, easier to service and maintain. Thanks to the input of customers, it will address their wants and needs.
“In the meantime, we will move to production of our next generation hybrid in just a few weeks. This will introduce stop-start technology and reduce fuel consumption – and emissions – by a further 8-10%. We currently have orders for 150 of the new hybrids and will start to deliver them in the first quarter of 2013.”