Department: Commercial, Sales & Marketing Contract: Permanent
Business Development Manager - Electric Vehicle
Location: Any UK site
Competitive package + half day on Fridays
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, procure and build a range of market leading buses and coaches to meet current and future client needs globally. Our turnover has tripled in the past ten years and we are now entering the next exciting phase of our ambitious growth plans.
With over 50% market share in the UK, you will no doubt have seen our Enviro200 single deck and Enviro400 double deck buses on the roads. Do you have any idea of the work that goes into bringing these to market and ensuring reliability over 16-hour duty cycles, up to 15-year lifespans and hundreds of thousands of miles in all conditions?
The Electric Vehicle (EV) platform represents a huge opportunity for Alexander Dennis and the wider industry. We are looking for a Business Development Manager (EV) to draw together our existing knowledge and experience in this area across disciplines and forward plan our commercial positioning with regards to EV.
Reporting to Group Commercial and Business Development Director and with the support of the wider Executive Team, you will be responsible for developing the EV Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) model to a level of sophistication/maturity/detail where it can be compared objectively against the TCO for other fuel types. From this you will have ownership for the creation of a robust business case for EV technology, which will be used internally to make strategic decisions, as well as in support of our customer facing commercial teams.
You will work closely with the colleagues in Engineering and Procurement, as well as externally with our key partners in this area to drive the technical development of our EV products.
- To be successful, you will you will be able to assimilate and understand or already have some prior knowledge of EV technology, as well as other fuel types (diesel/hybrid/CNG). This is however a strategic rather than technical role and therefore a strong financial and commercial awareness is essential.
- Due to the complex financial modelling required, you will be highly analytical and numerical, with the ability to translate complex financial data into simple and easily digestible messages.
- You will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to influence, negotiate and build relationships internally as well as externally.
- As our expert on EV, you will have strong presentation skills and will be comfortable doing these for stakeholders at all levels. You should be an evangelist for all things EV.
- Problem solving will come naturally to you, as you find innovative solutions to internal and external issues
What you will be doing:
- Responsibility for developing the EV Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) model and objective analysis and comparison against the TCO for other fuel types.
- Responsibility for assisting developing the Company business case for investment in EVs technology.
- Cross functional working with the Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Commercial teams, as well as externally with our specialist partners in this area.
- Investigation, analysis and recommendation of:
- Vehicle price
- Service parts cost and model of service provision
- Maintenance parts cost
- Service and maintenance labour cost and model of service provision
- Energy consumption and cost per kWh
- Operating lease costs – for 5, 7 and even 10 years, together with RV position at 5 or 7 years.
- Clarity on diesel costs for London and Provincially operated diesels/hybrids, and for other market segments in the UK and also our international markets
- Equivalent data on parts and labour for diesels/hybrids and operating leases.
- Equivalent for CNG vehicles.
- Responsibility for supporting direct sales of EVs to our Customers, working with existing sales team to ensure that a cohesive sales proposition is presented, and the market fully understood.
- Responsibility for developing a direct relationship with EV platform partners to ensure that overall EV proposition is clearly defined and presented to Customers and others.
- Completing detailed route analysis to assess energy usage.
- Conducting and or directing depot surveys for charging infrastructure, the costs for installing the EV charging infrastructure, and the options around how to finance this activity.
- Modelling of service schedules to accommodate any limitations that arise from the route data.
- Responsibility for relationship building with local and national government.
- Responsibility for developing relationships with 3rd party finance providers.
- You’ll have an interesting and technically challenging workload from day one, where you will have the opportunity to shape and influence future Group strategy around this exciting opportunity.
- We’ve been making low and zero emission vehicles for over a decade, so you will have access to data to help you come to conclusions. Furthermore, you will get to work alongside and learn from an experienced and established team of experts in the UK and globally.
- It’s a dynamic, fast paced environment where no two days are the same with new challenges to overcome and deliver innovative solutions.
- With such a wide scope of responsibility, you will gain exposure to other parts of the business, in turn developing your commercial and business acumen and future career prospects.
If this sounds like you, then we would love to hear from you; please apply by completing the form below and attaching a copy of your CV.
We regret that only those successful on application will be contacted for interview.
No Agencies please