Department: Procurement & Supply Chain Location: Guildford Contract: Permanent
Alexander Dennis – Guildford
Competitive package + half day on Fridays
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, procure and build a range of market leading buses and coaches to meet current and future client needs globally. Our turnover has tripled in the past ten years and we are now entering the next exciting phase of our ambitious growth plans. As part of this, we are looking to appoint a highly commercially minded Commodity Buyer in Guildford to focus initially on Powertrain.
As a business, we spend over £400m each year with our suppliers on everything from nuts and bolts, through to engines, gearboxes, Electric Vehicle batteries and everything in-between. The Procurement team is responsible for ensuring that we have effective strategies and controls in place to deliver value to Alexander Dennis and our customers.
In your new role, your number one priority will be supplier quality and reliability, making sure that we contract and develop strong relations with the best suppliers that we can find to enable Alexander Dennis to be a world leader in the provision of buses, coaches and support services You will also need to make sure that the total cost of buying parts is as low as possible. This will be through a combination of the purchase price but also making sure the freight, duty, operations, and service costs are all taken into consideration to ensure we can be as cost-competitive as possible.
- It’s a dynamic, fast paced environment where no two days are the same with daily challenges for you to overcome.
- You’ll have full accountability for wide range of commodities assigned to you and we want you to bring with you new ideas and ways of working.
- We don’t hire good people and then tell them what to do; accountability for success is up to you and you will have a supportive team around to help you navigate those early days.
- We’ll support with coaching and development with the tools and techniques you will need to succeed, including progression towards Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply
- You’ll get to work cross functionally with colleagues around the world and influence up to executive level both internally and externally, with the ability to see the tangible results of your hard work.
- As a business, we have a great track record of recognising talent. Alongside improving your core Procurement skills, you will also gain exposure to other parts of the business, in turn developing your future career prospects.
- In addition to a competitive salary, pension, bonus and annual leave entitlement, you will also get every Friday afternoon off
- To be successful, you will have previous experience in a similar role as defined in this advert, where you have had full end-to-end responsibility for a complex commodity on a global basis.
- A professional qualification in Purchasing or Supply such as CIPS would be highly advantageous, however for the right person we can offer support towards this.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the Automotive industry, however we would also welcome those from other similarly complex engineering or manufacturing
- Familiarity with Total Cost of Ownership operating models would be a distinct advantage and you should have a good working knowledge of materials MRP/ERP systems.
- Due to the nature of the role, it is essential that you have excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills, being able to influence and negotiate at all levels both internally and externally.
- You will be motivated, adaptable and highly resourceful, being comfortable working in often ambiguous situations.
- Strong project management discipline is required, with the ability to plan activities, meet assigned schedules and achieve planned objectives.
About the role:
- With support and development as needed, you will have full accountability for the creation of commodity strategies to support business objectives; including market intelligence, commodity price movements and general risk management.
- You will manage a portfolio of existing suppliers and will be accountable for performance and continuous improvement including quality, cost, lead-time reduction, delivery, working capital benefits, utilising supplier scorecards as required.
- You will be expected to meet an annual Value Improvement target with suppliers.
- As required you will identify, introduce and develop new suppliers to improve quality, cost and delivery performance.
- You will have full responsibility for the design, issue and collation of Request For Quote / Tenders, presenting to senior management supplier selection and award recommendations. You will then be responsible for delivery of these, including negotiation with key suppliers and working with legal teams to finalise contracts.
- An important part of your role will be to lead value improvement opportunities with colleagues in Engineering, Supply Chain and Logistics. From this you will work with suppliers to find innovative solutions, materials and technologies to improve total quality and total cost.
If this sounds like you, then we would love to hear from you - please apply by completing the details below and attaching your CV.
We regret that only those successful on application will be contacted for interview.