Department: Quality Manufacturing & Operations Location: Guildford Contract: Permanent
Head of Quality
Alexander Dennis – Guildford
Competitive package + half day on Fridays
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, procure and build a range of market leading buses and coaches to meet current and future client needs globally. Our turnover has tripled in the past ten years and we are now entering the next exciting phase of our ambitious growth plans.
With a 50% market share in the UK, you will no doubt have seen our Enviro200 single deck and Enviro400 double deck buses on the roads. Do you have any idea of the work that goes into bringing these to market and ensuring reliability over 16-hour duty cycles, up to 15-year lifespans and hundreds of thousands of miles in all conditions?
Guildford is one of our three main UK build sites and we have approximately 350+ employees on site across every possible job function. To help us achieve our ambitious growth plans, we are looking for a transformational Head of Quality for this complex and busy site.
Quality and reliability are at the heart of our business and reporting to the Site Director and sitting on the local executive team; you will have full autonomy for the development and execution of the Quality strategy in Guildford.
- You’ll have an interesting and technically challenging workload from day one with the opportunity to make a significant positive impact to the lives of the hundreds of thousands of people that use our products each day.
- It’s a dynamic, fast paced environment where no two days are the same with significant challenges for you to get stuck into and the ability to see the tangible results of your work.
- We don’t hire good people and then tell them what to do; as the head of the department, accountability for success is up to you and you will have a supportive team around to help you navigate those early days.
- Alongside improving your core Quality skills, you will also gain exposure to other parts of the business, in turn developing your future career prospects.
- On top of a competitive package, which includes pension and bonus, we also operate a half day on Fridays giving you that much needed work-life-balance.
- It’s a technically challenging position, so it’s essential that you are able to demonstrate success in a similar role as defined in this advert.
- At Guildford we manufacture the chassis which is the underpart of the vehicle that the body is then attached to - think steel frame, engine, suspension etc. This is a technical product and therefore to be successful you will have an Engineering background, as well as being a Qualified Auditor.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the Automotive industry, however we would also welcome those from other similarly complex engineering/manufacturing
- You will have strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability lead both direct and in-direct teams as well as taking a hands-on approach to all areas of accountability.
- You should be comfortable influencing and negotiating at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Finally, you will be highly IT literate, being a competent user of Microsoft Office, as well as business intelligence/Quality Management/ERP systems.
About the role:
- You will take ownership for the management and continual development the company’s quality standards, systems and procedures to meet the requirements of ISO9001:2015
- As part of this, you will measure key business criteria with KPI data to monitor effectiveness of systems / processes, taking corrective action where necessary.
- As a business leader you will have responsibility for the continual development of culture and working practices leading to robust quality systems, procedures and practices including Process Auditing.
- You will own the timely and effective root cause analysis and implementation of business solutions leading to customer satisfaction.
- Using your strong stakeholder management skills, you will work with under-performing suppliers to ensure their products / services meet the design specifications and quality standards of the business.
- You will have final product quality accountability at all manufacturing locations (including outsource suppliers) ensuring that we meet design, quality and customers specifications and is delivered on time to the bodybuilder.
- With accountability for the Warranty department you will manage the team to ensure the company’s warranty spend is kept to a minimum and claims are correctly adjudicated resulting in Supplier recovery KPI targets being met / exceeded.
- As a leader you will develop and maintain a health and safety awareness culture within department, as well as an enjoyable place to work
If your skills and experience are matching with this challenging role and you want to join a growing, successful international business, then we would love to hear from you.