Department: Manufacturing & Operations Procurement & Supply Chain Location: Guildford Contract: Permanent
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, procure and build a range of market leading buses and coaches to meet current and future client needs globally. Our turnover has tripled in the past ten years and we are now entering the next exciting phase of our ambitious growth plans.
With a 50% market share in the UK, you will no doubt have seen our E200 single deck and E400 single axle double deck buses on the roads. Do you have any idea of the work that goes into bringing these to market and ensuring reliability over 16-hour duty cycles, up to 15-year lifespans and hundreds of thousands of miles in all conditions?
Guildford is one of our three main UK build sites and we have approximately 350+ employees on site across every possible job function. To help us achieve our ambitious growth plans, we are looking for a transformational Head of Supply Chain for this complex and busy site.
Reporting to the Site Director and sitting on the local executive team, you will have full autonomy for the development and execution of the supply chain strategy covering warehousing, planning, expediting and exporting.
- It’s a technically challenging position, so it’s essential that you are able to demonstrate success in a similar role as defined in this advert. Particularly where you will have been responsible for a delivering change and modernisation programmes.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the Automotive industry, however we would also welcome those from mobile plant, rail and rolling stock, aerospace, marine, or other similarly complex engineering environment.
- You will have strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability lead both direct and in-direct teams as well as taking a hands-on approach to all areas of accountability.
- Analytical and numerical by nature, you will be comfortable leading process reviews and route cause analysis through to practical implementation of solutions.
- Familiarity and experience of Lean and Continuous Improvement principals or similar would be highly advantageous.
Alexander Dennis has grown rapidly in recent years and as such, some of our infrastructure in terms of systems and processes require a re-think. We’re looking for someone who has experience of what best practice looks like and can be the driving force for practical implementation of this at Alexander Dennis.
Through direct and in-direct leadership of a team of forty FTE, you will be accountable for:
- Using your analytical problem-solving skills to firstly understand our existing Warehousing processes, you will then devise and implement solutions to reduce errors, improve accuracy and efficiency.
- Working cross functionally with colleagues and suppliers to improve the Planning process, demonstrating joint efficiencies between warehousing, parts and the operational lines.
- We are a very customer-centric business which means that the Expediting process has domino effect. You will use your experience and stakeholder management skills to understand what is happening and build resilience into the organisation.
- We are in the process of trailing out-sourcing our Exporting process and so you will be deeply involved in the project management and then future ownership of this.
Why join us
- You’ll have an interesting and technically challenging workload from day one.
- It’s a dynamic, fast paced environment where no two days are the same with significant challenges for you to get stuck into.
- We don’t hire good people and then tell them what to do; as the head of the department, accountability for success is up to you and you will have a supportive team around to help you navigate those early days.
- Alongside improving your core supply chain skills, you will also gain exposure to other parts of the business, in turn developing your future career prospects.
How to apply
If your skills and experience are matching with this challenging role and you want to join a growing, successful international business, then we would love to hear from you. Please apply by completing the sections below and attaching your CV.
The closing date for applications is 27 March.
We regret that only those successful on application will be contacted for interviews.