Department: Engineering and Design Contract: Permanent
Alexander Dennis – Any UK site (Larbert, Falkirk, Skelmersdale, Scarborough or Guildford)
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, procure and build a range of market leading busses and coaches to meet current and future client needs globally. Our turnover has tripled in the past ten years and we are now entering the next exciting phase of our ambitious growth plans. We are looking for an experienced Homologation Engineer to join our existing and established team in the UK.
Engineering at Alexander Dennis takes many forms; however, in simple terms, we design busses and coaches by seamlessly integrating third party components (engines, transmissions etc.) into the Alexander Dennis designed Chassis and Body, all to meet our customers exacting requirements.
With a 50% market share in the UK, you will no doubt have seen our Enviro200 single deck and Enviro400 double deck busses on the roads. Do you have any idea of the engineering that goes into bringing these to market and ensuring reliability over 16 hour duty cycles, up to 15 year lifespans and hundreds of thousands of miles in all conditions?
- Due to the technical nature of the role, you will have demonstrable experience in a similar legislative engineering role.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the Automotive industry and in particular bus, coach or HGV. We would also welcome those from mobile plant, rail and rolling stock, aerospace, marine, or other engineering environment.
- Logical and analytical by nature, you will have an eye for detail and be able to assimilate new and complex information quickly.
- You will have strong communication and interpersonal skills, being able to communicate interpretations of text to others at various levels (both written and verbal). Furthermore, you will be able to present information in report and chart format in a clear manner
- Ideally you will have some basic Engineering drawing skills, ideally using CAD.
- You will have a full UK driving license, with a PSV driving license desirable.
- As you will work on international assignments, some travel and time away from home will be required – as such, you should have a valid passport.
About the role:
It will be your responsibility to demonstrate to Government authorities that the vehicles we intend to register comply with the applicable vehicle legislative requirements. This will be achieved through a combination of tests, inspections and paperwork information following laws that typically cover safety and the environment and liaise with appropriate Departments internally and external suppliers and/or test sites to obtain information in support of compliance documentation.
You will take responsibility for defined platforms/territories for ongoing maintenance during product lifecycle and maintain Conformity of Production records for given platforms/territories and where necessary plan or conduct inspections, or schedule testing to validate ongoing compliance. The role will include the following tasks:
- Homologation responsibility for defined platforms/territories, including control of the relevant certification and responsibility for maintenance, conformity of production, and update in-line with customer or internal change requirements.
- Review legislative requirements applicable to Alexander Dennis products for existing and proposed territories. Included in this, you will keep abreast of legislative change advised through departmental subscriptions and Government notices, and providing impact analysis, guidance and interpretation internally on a regular basis.
- Process the necessary documentation, as instructed, to comply with type approval and certification requirements for territories (worldwide) for Alexander Dennis products.
- Liaise with appropriate suppliers, test sites and government authorities to obtain approvals/reports and other data, with onsite support during certification process where applicable and agreed with Line Manager.
- Liaise with colleagues in Engineering and use appropriate company systems to obtain data required for documentation.
- Maintain Conformity of Production plans for applicable products/certification. Conduct inspections, audits, training or testing as applicable to ensure legislative COP requirements continue to be met.
- Study appropriate texts and visit product shows, to learn of alternative legislative interpretations and homologation strategies.
- Successful and timely certification of Alexander Dennis products to project deliverables.
- Compliance with all legislative change and Conformity of Production requirements.
- You’ll have an interesting and technically challenging workload from day one, where you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from an experienced and established team of experts in the UK and globally.
- It’s a dynamic, fast paced environment where no two days are the same with new challenges to overcome to deliver.
- Alongside improving your core engineering skills, you will also develop strong project management abilities and gain exposure to other parts of the business, in turn developing your commercial and business acumen and future career prospects.
- You will have full end-to-end responsibility for homologation from initial brief, through to approval documents and beyond. You will work on a diverse range of projects from rear registration plates, right the way through to full breaking systems and reg. 107 covering whole vehicle interior.
If this sounds like you, then we would love to hear from you; please apply by completing the form below and attaching a copy of your CV.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 13 April.
We regret that only those successful on application will be contacted for interview.