Department: Engineering and Design Contract: Permanent
Lead Engineer – Electrical Systems
Alexander Dennis – Guildford, Scarborough, Skelmersdale or Larbert
Competitive package + half day on Fridays
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, procure and build a range of market leading busses and coaches to meet current and future client needs globally. Our turnover has tripled in the past ten years and we are now entering the next exciting phase of our ambitious growth plans.
Engineering at Alexander Dennis takes many forms; however in simple terms, we design buses and coaches by seamlessly integrating third-party systems and components (engines, transmissions etc.) into the Alexander Dennis designed chassis and body, all to meet our customers exacting requirements.
With a 50% market share in the UK, you will no doubt have seen our Enviro200 single deck and Enviro400 double deck buses on the roads. Do you have any idea of the engineering that goes into bringing these to market and ensuring reliability over 16 hour duty cycles, up to 15 year lifespans and hundreds of thousands of miles in all conditions?
We are looking for a Lead Engineer, based from any of our UK locations with an electrical and control systems bias, who can guide a team of our skilled engineers to design, develop and maintain whole vehicle electrical systems.
- Due to the technical nature of the role, you will be educated to degree level in Electrical Engineering or have equivalent experience in a relevant role.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the automotive industry and in particular; bus, coach, HGV, specialist vehicles or tier-1 suppliers.
- We would also welcome those from mobile plant, rail and rolling stock, aerospace, marine, or other similar electrical and control systems engineering
- You will have strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to guide a multidisciplinary team both on site and remotely.
- You will be a competent user of Electrical and Mechanical CAD, ideally Zuken E3 and Solid Edge respectively.
- Your previous experience will include team leadership, electrical and control systems design, integration and verification.
About the role:
- For all global manufacturing sites and customers, you will then prepare a ‘bus vehicle contract specification’ which will achieve key contract milestones to customers’ satisfaction.
- You will then have ownership of the daily maintenance of contract files to ensure traceability, managing any customer changes through to successful completion.
- You will hold cross-functional specification reviews and distribute customer information internally; working closely with Engineering, Procurement, Supply Chain, Operations and Quality to deliver customer requirements.
- As the vehicles are in the build phase, you will coordinate and attend customer visits on-site, ensuring first class customer experience. Upon completion of build, you will support with vehicle sign off and delivery, including visiting customer sites for handover of contracts.
- You will then have responsibility for coordinating the service and reliability of vehicles for up to 28 days in the filed before handing over to Aftermarket colleagues. This includes management of quality issues raised by ADL, external PDI and customer PDI issues to point of customer satisfaction. You will then disseminate information within the manufacturing site to point of resolution.
- As required, you will assist in customer cash collection.
- You will carry out ‘Commercial 60 Minute Audits’ to ensure compliance to the department processes and identifying improvement opportunities.
- You’ll have an interesting and technically challenging workload from day one, where you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from an experienced and established team of experts in the UK and globally.
- It’s a dynamic, fast paced environment where no two days are the same with new challenges to overcome and deliver innovative solutions.
- Alongside improving your core engineering skills, you will also develop strong project management abilities and gain exposure to other parts of the business, in turn developing your commercial and business acumen and future career prospects.
- You’ll take great pride and satisfaction in seeing your designs quickly become reality and delighting our customers time after time.
If this sounds like you, then we would love to hear from you; please apply by completing the form below and attaching a copy of your CV.
We regret that only those successful on application will be contacted for interview.