Department: Engineering and Design Location: Falkirk Guildford Larbert Scarborough Skelmersdale Contract: Permanent
Alexander Dennis Limited has opportunities for positions of Lead Engineer, based at any UK site within the Engineering Department and reporting to the Principal Engineer.
Lead Engineering activities to design, develop, verify and maintain vehicle and system designs to meet or exceed customer expectations and business requirements.
Why work for Alexander Dennis Limited
Working at Alexander Dennis Limited (ADL) provides you with the opportunity to work with our exceptional team members, who are committed to designing, engineering, building and supporting innovative and world class quality vehicles. To provide every customer with an exceptional experience, you will get a chance to show your potential for growth, creativity, energetic ambitions and enthusiasm.
Get ready for a new journey in your life and join us.
Opportunities for the future
Every minute, in countless towns and cities around the world – including London, Hong Kong, New York City, Vancouver and Las Vegas – Alexander Dennis buses carry 25,000 passengers. The market is changing very fast and passengers depend on reliable and comfortable buses. ADL is at the forefront of the development of hybrid, smart diesel and electric vehicles which provide maximum customer satisfaction. This is a great opportunity for you to achieve the most in your career by joining growing, successful international business. ADL will continuously be support and develop the chances to make a positive difference in your career.
Your role and responsibilities
As a key member of the Engineering team the role will include the following tasks:
- Lead teams of on-shore and off-shore engineers and design partners on one or more projects to define, deliver and verify design requirements with sign-off through DFMEA, design review and supplier approval processes
- Responsible for design requirements capture, planning and execution of DFMEAs and design reviews and any subsequent actions through to completion and sign-off
- Record and manage engineering risks and mitigating actions, seeking assistance and guidance where required. Escalate critical risks to the relevant owning Principal Engineer (technical) or Product Engineering Manager (delivery) as appropriate
- Ensure common system designs, interfaces and principles are applied consistently across all systems, platforms and territories. Promote the re-use of parts and modular design philosophies. Contribute to process and toolchain improvements to benefit the business
- Lead the upfront development and testing of new designs to identify issues and improvements at the earliest opportunity and address them prior to product introduction
- Lead the support of New Product Introduction at UK and international build sites and manage build issues through to closure
- Work in accordance with the Engineering Product Development process and demonstrate compliance with the deliverables through design records and documentation
- Work in accordance with the Systems Engineering process and lead the innovative development, management and integration of systems across platforms and projects. Ensuring all requirements and specifications are defined, approved and achieved through sign-off
- Interface directly with internal and external customers on technical issues and requirements. Ensuring high customer satisfaction through safe, reliable and fit for purpose designs
- Prepare and present technical documentation and papers for review and communication with key stakeholders
- Lead the definition of and compliance with relevant internal and international standards, best practice and legislation. In particular responsible for ensuring that design guides, certification requirements and vehicle compliance are defined and fulfilled
- Act as the key contact for arranging and co-ordinating activities with internal and external design partners or suppliers to achieve quality, cost and delivery targets for each project
- Responsible for the assessment, planning and design brief creation for each new project
- Responsible for delivering design releases that meet the agreed project targets in areas such as quality, cost, weight and timing
Your current profile
The successful candidate should have the following attributes and be able to demonstrate experience of the following:
- Successfully lead a team in the delivery of vehicle based projects
- Active interest in vehicle based technologies and developments
- Detailed understanding of vehicle electrical systems and controls
- Experience of Low and High Voltage systems
- Experience of electrical/electronic system integration and interaction
- Experience in system definition, development and requirements capture
- Good people management and leadership skills
- Ability to work in and maintain a structured environment
- Proven problem solving skills
- The ability to communicate at all levels
- Good team player who can lead others
- Able to work without supervision under own initiative
- Strives for continuous improvement
- Take personal ownership in delivering projects end-to-end
- Willingness to travel and support UK and international projects
- Engineering Degree or equivalent experience in relevant discipline
How to apply
ADL strives to be recognised as a world leader in the provision of buses, coaches and support services, which we will achieve through our products (which will be the most reliable), our people (who will be customer focused, passionate and committed to excellence) and our service (which will be class-leading).
If your skills and experience are matching with this opportunity and you want to join a growing, successful international business, please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.
If you would like to have an informal chat before submitting your application, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 01695 566637!