Department: Engineering and Design Location: Scarborough Contract: Permanent
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, procure and build a range of market leading busses and coaches to meet current and future client needs globally. Our turnover has tripled in the past ten years and we are now entering the next exciting phase of our ambitious growth plans.
Engineering at Alexander Dennis takes many forms; however in simple terms, we design busses and coaches by seamlessly integrating third party components (engines, transmissions etc.) into the Alexander Dennis designed Chassis and Body, all to meet our customers exacting requirements.
With a 50% market share in the UK, you will no doubt have seen our E200 single deck and E400 single axle double deck busses on the roads. Do you have any idea of the engineering that goes into bringing these to market and ensuring reliability over 16 hour duty cycles, up to 15 year lifespans and hundreds of thousands of miles in all conditions?
We are looking for a Lead Engineer in Scarborough with a mechanical bias that can take new products from concept to production and ultimately on time customer deliveries, whilst ensuring they fully adhere to our quality, reliability and homologation standards.
- Due to the technical nature of the role, you will be educated to HNC level in Mechanical Engineering, with degree qualification advantageous.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the Automotive industry and in particular bus, coach or HGV.
- We would also welcome those from mobile plant, rail and rolling stock, aerospace, marine, or other similarly complex mechanical engineering
- You will have strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability lead direct and indict multidisciplinary teams both on site and working remotely.
- You will be a competent user in 3D CAD, ideally Solid Edge but a transferable skill in similar packages such as Catia or Siemens NX is a must.
- Your previous experience will include design for manufacture with specific knowledge of fabrication, sheet metal, welded structures, bonding and mechanical fastening.
- You will also be confident with appropriate material selection including metals, plastics and composites.
More about the role:
- Shortly after our commercial teams confirm an order, it will be your responsibility to review the full technical specification against our existing portfolio of projects and capabilities to determine if a solution already exists, or new design work is required.
- You will then use your engineering skills to translate the customer specification into a clear design brief; estimating workload, resource and ensuring the project can meet the business milestones to deliver.
- If new design work is required, you will commission internal and external resource to deliver, ensuring that solutions are technically fit for purpose, reliable, serviceable and meet appropriate legislation.
- You will liaise with neighboring departments including Man Eng, Quality, Reliability and Operations to support the successful manufacture and delivery of products.
Why join us:
- You’ll have an interesting and technically challenging workload from day one, where you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from an experienced and established team of experts in the UK and globally.
- It’s a dynamic, fast paced environment where no two days are the same with new challenges to overcome to deliver.
- Alongside improving your core engineering skills, you will also develop strong project management abilities and gain exposure to other parts of the business, in turn developing your commercial and business acumen and future career prospects.
How to apply
If your skills and experience are matching with this opportunity and you want to join a growing, successful international business, then we would love to hear from you. Please fill in the form below to apply.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 10 February.
We regret that only those successful on application will be contacted for interviews.