Department: Engineering and Design Location: Falkirk Guildford Larbert Scarborough Skelmersdale Contract: Permanent
Alexander Dennis Limited has opportunities for positions of Principal Engineer, based at any UK site within the Engineering Department and reporting to the Head of Department.
Lead and develop a team to design, develop, verify and maintain vehicle and system designs to meet or exceed customer expectations and business requirements.
Why work for Alexander Dennis Limited
Working at Alexander Dennis Limited (ADL) provides you with the opportunity to work with our exceptional team members, who are committed to designing, engineering, building and supporting innovative and world class quality vehicles. To provide every customer with an exceptional experience, you will get a chance to show your potential for growth, creativity, energetic ambitions and enthusiasm.
Get ready for a new journey in your life and join us.
Opportunities for the future
Every minute, in countless towns and cities around the world – including London, Hong Kong, New York City, Vancouver and Las Vegas – Alexander Dennis buses carry 25,000 passengers. The market is changing very fast and passengers depend on reliable and comfortable buses. ADL is at the forefront of the development of hybrid, smart diesel and electric vehicles which provide maximum customer satisfaction. This is a great opportunity for you to achieve the most in your career by joining growing, successful international business. ADL will continuously be support and develop the chances to make a positive difference in your career.
Your role and responsibilities
As a key member of the Engineering team the role will include the following tasks:
- Provide technical authority and ownership for the defined areas of expertise, technical specialism, system and sub-system responsibility
- Responsible for the completion of Statement Of Work and high level system Reviews
- Ensure effective use of on-shore and off-shore engineers and design partners across all projects to define, deliver and verify design requirements with sign-off through DFMEA, design review and supplier approval processes
- Responsible for approving and ensuring that design requirements are captured, DFMEAs and design reviews are planned and executed and any subsequent actions are managed through a Design Verification Plan to completion and sign-off
- Responsible for resolving escalated engineering risks or defining mitigating actions as appropriate in defined areas of responsibility
- Ensure common system designs, interfaces and principles are applied consistently across all systems, platforms and territories. Promote the reuse of parts and modular design philosophies. Define and deliver process and toolchain improvements to benefit the business
- Ensure the upfront development and testing of new designs to identify issues and improvements at the earliest opportunity and address them prior to product introduction
- Contribute to and promote the application of the engineering Product Development process and ensure teams demonstrate compliance with the deliverables through design records and documentation
- Contribute to and promote the application of the Systems Engineering process and take responsibility for the innovative development, management and integration of systems across platforms and projects. Ensuring all requirements and specifications are defined, approved and achieved through sign-off
- Responsible for the resolution of all technical issues that arise in defined areas of responsibility. Interface directly with internal and external customers on technical issues and requirements. Ensuring high customer satisfaction through safe, reliable and fit for purpose designs
- Prepare and present technical documentation and papers for review and communication with key stakeholders
- Lead the definition of and compliance with relevant internal and international standards, best practice and legislation. In particular responsible for ensuring that design guides, certification requirements and vehicle compliance are defined and fulfilled
- Ensure relevant activities are undertaken with internal and external design partners or suppliers to achieve quality, cost and delivery targets for defined areas of responsibility
- Responsible for the allocation of resources against projects and work activities and the development of external partnerships to increase capacity and capability
- Provide leadership, development, coaching and mentoring for your team
Your current profile
The successful candidate should have the following attributes and be able to demonstrate experience of the following:
- Experience in system definition, development and requirements capture
- Good people management skills
- Ability to work in a structured environment
- Proven problem solving skills
- The ability to convey technical authority
- The ability to communicate at all levels
- Good team player
- Able to work without supervision under own initiative
- Strives for continuous improvement
- Willingness to travel
- Engineering Degree or equivalent experience in relevant discipline
How to apply
ADL strives to be recognised as a world leader in the provision of buses, coaches and support services, which we will achieve through our products (which will be the most reliable), our people (who will be customer focused, passionate and committed to excellence) and our service (which will be class-leading).
If your skills and experience are matching with this opportunity and you want to join a growing, successful international business, please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.
If you would like to have an informal chat before submitting your application, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 01695 566637!