Department: Engineering and Design Location: Larbert Falkirk Contract: Permanent
Alexander Dennis – Larbert
Competitive package + half day on Fridays
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, procure and build a range of market leading buses and coaches to meet current and future client needs globally. Our turnover has tripled in the past ten years and we are now entering the next exciting phase of our ambitious growth plans. As part of this, we are looking for a Procurement Engineer to join our established team in Larbert to focus on Global Vehicle Systems.
As a business, we spend over £400m each year with our suppliers on everything from nuts and bolts, through to engines, gearboxes, Electric Vehicle batteries and everything in-between. The Procurement team is responsible for ensuring that we have effective strategies and capabilities in place to deliver value to Alexander Dennis and our customers.
We are looking for a commercially minded Engineer who is ready to develop from design engineering and play a significant role in the future success and profitability of the Company. You will gain in-depth understanding of our existing products from design and procurement, through to build and into operation. Using your core engineering skills and in cooperation with a range of global suppliers, you will increase value for money, reduce cost and inefficiency and drive innovation.
- It’s a dynamic, fast paced environment where no two days are the same with daily challenges for you to overcome.
- We’ll support with coaching and development with the tools and techniques you will need to succeed, including progression towards Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply accreditation. You will also have the opportunity to participate in the ADL Procurement Academy initiative which will ensure you have all the skills and knowledge to do the job.
- You’ll get to work cross functionally with colleagues around the world and influence up to executive level both internally and externally, with the ability to see the tangible results of your hard work.
- As a business, we have a great track record of recognising talent. Alongside improving your core Procurement skills, you will also gain exposure to other parts of the business, in turn developing your future career prospects.
- In addition to a competitive salary, pension, bonus and annual leave entitlement, you will also get every Friday afternoon off.
- To be successful you will be degree qualified Engineer (or equivalent experience), with strong business acumen and aspirations for career advancement.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the Automotive industry, however we would also welcome those from other similarly complex engineering or manufacturing
- Familiarity with Total Cost of Ownership operating models would be a distinct advantage, as would experience of cost and value engineering (CVE). You will however be able to demonstrate a good understanding of cost analysis and optimisation.
- Due to the nature of the role, it is essential that you have excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills, being able to influence and negotiate at all levels both internally and externally.
- You will be motivated, adaptable and highly resourceful, being comfortable working in often ambiguous situations.
- Strong project management discipline is required, with the ability to plan activities, meet assigned schedules and achieve planned objectives.
- You will be highly IT literate, being comfortable with Microsoft packages with experience of using CAD highly advantageous.
About the role:
- With support and development as needed, you will lead cost reduction and value added / value engineering projects, delivering improvements in line with specific targets.
- You will develop detailed knowledge and understanding of supplier manufacturing and sourcing processes used to produce specific materials and commodities. This is vital to be able to influence and optimise cost and quality.
- Using your extensive engineering skills, you will identify key cost drivers in chassis, body or electrical systems, sub systems and components. From this you will develop action plans to optimise product costs, whilst improving reliability.
- You will provide technical expertise on specific materials and commodities by liaising closely with vehicle design engineering on system integration of these materials and commodities.
- You will provide technical approval input for supplier selection, ensuring Principal Engineer approval.
- You will provide estimate costs at early stages of product design and development.
- Due to the nature of the roe, you will be expected to meet an annual Value Improvement target with suppliers.
- An important part of your role will be to lead value improvement opportunities with colleagues in Engineering, Supply Chain and Logistics. From this you will work with suppliers to find innovative solutions, materials and technologies to improve total quality and total cost.
If this sounds like you, then we would love to hear from you - please apply by completing the details below and attaching your CV.
We regret that only those successful on application will be contacted for interview.