Human Rights Statement
NFI is a leading global independent bus and motor coach manufacturer providing a comprehensive suite of mass transportation solutions to enable the future of mobility with innovative and sustainable solutions. At NFI, we are committed to respecting the human rights and dignity of individuals within our operations, supply chain, and communities in which we do business, and to promoting and protecting the human rights of our team and communities. We strive to do this by implementing our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and our Supplier Code of Conduct, among other things. In recognition of the evolution of human rights and that circumstances may change over time, we regularly review our human rights’ focus areas and approach, and may change them, as appropriate.
We view human rights within the meaning of internationally recognized human rights. Our approach is informed by international principles, including those encompassed in the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, Universal Declaration of Human Rights, International Bill of Rights, and the International Labor Organization’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work, subject to and in accordance with rights and obligations under applicable laws.
Based upon our operational context and ability to influence, NFI Group’s human rights approach focuses on the management of human rights impacts within our operations, supply chain and communities in which we do business. Among other things, we concentrate on labor and employment practices, as well as employee welfare. For example, the working conditions of our employees at a particular facility are, at minimum, in compliance with internationally recognized labour standards and the laws of the country in which they work.
In accordance with relevant laws and regulations, and as described in our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics as well as our Supplier Code of Conduct, we strive to:
- Treat people with respect and dignity, in accordance with reasonable expectations.
- Foster a workplace free of harassment and discrimination.
- Provide an inclusive workplace and promote diversity in the workplace.
- Prohibit forced, bonded, trafficked and child labor in our operations and to avoid such labour in our supply chain.
- Recruit ethically based on the needs of our business and seek to recognize the talent and potential of new applicants.
- Provide fair wages and benefits that are based on the consideration of numerous applicable factors.
- Promote health and safety in our workplace as described in our Environmental, Health and Safety Policy.
- Adopt practices to protect the personal information of our employees and customers.
- Recognize the freedom of workers to associate or not associate with a labor union, and to collectively bargain when represented by a legally recognized labor union.
- Respect the right to freedom of association and to not undermine or pressure any employee from exercising the right.
NFI Group implements its human rights approach in a number of ways. For example, we conduct due diligence to avoid complicity in human rights abuses, and we seek to avoid causing or contributing to adverse human rights impacts through our own activities and business relationships.
We strive to provide (whether on our own or in cooperation with others in the provision of) an appropriate remedy when adverse human rights impacts occur as a result of our activities.
We operate in a spirit of continuous improvement and are committed to increasing our capacity to identify and respond to concerns related to human rights.
Where applicable law conflicts with our human rights approach, we maintain legal compliance and seek to raise awareness of best practices within our spheres of influence.
We deliver human rights-related training and awareness-raising activities among employees. We monitor, and report externally on, our human rights commitments and efforts.
In accordance with our Supplier Code of Conduct, we expect our suppliers to comply with contractual requirements and to respect human rights in a manner consistent with our approach within their operations and supply chains, or such higher standards as required by law or contract.
We work to promote respect for human rights within our spheres of influence through stakeholder engagement, collaboration, and participation in various forums.
We encourage our employees, suppliers, and stakeholders to speak up, without retribution, about any concerns related to human rights. We do not tolerate retaliation or reprisal against any workers, suppliers, or others for having reported contraventions of the implementation of our human rights approach.